Canadian Population Sees Record Growth, Mostly “Temporary” Residents

Canada continues to hit record smashing growth numbers. Statistics Canada (Stat Can) data shows the 2023 population growth was the largest in more than a half-century. Virtually all population growth is now immigration, with most being “temporary” residents. Upcoming policy changes to limit future immigration is likely to have a very big effect on further growth.

Canada’s Population Grew At The Fastest Rate Since 1957

Canada’s population continues to surge, printing yet another quarter of record growth. Stat Can estimates there were 40.769 million “inhabitants” in the country on Jan 1, 2024. This represents a 0.6% increase in Q4 2023, and a whopping 3.2% rise over all of 2023. The rate was the largest for Canada since 1957, back when the population was just 16.69 million people.   

Canadian Population Growth Hits Highest Rate Since 1957

The 12-month change in quarterly population estimates for Canada. Quarterly measurements taken on the first day of the quarter.

Source: Statistics Canada; Better Dwelling.

Canada’s Population Boom Is Mostly “Temporary” Residents

Driving most of the 66-year record was temporary residents. These include temporary workers, as well as those visiting on study permits.  This class represented two-thirds of the growth observed in 2023, dropping growth to just 1.2% if excluded. 

Canada has pivoted away from natural birth and shifted entirely to immigration for growth. Virtually all growth (97.6%) was due to international migration. Only a sliver—the remaining 2.4% growth was due to natural increases (births outpacing deaths).  

Canada To Implement Immigration Caps, Potentially A Big Shift

Canada’s pursuit of high immigration-based growth is likely creating a cyclical problem. Two-thirds of young adults cite financial pressure as the reason they have a smaller family. Not a surprising result, since studies show rising home prices are directly related to declining birth rates. Since accommodating robust immigration requires smaller and more expensive housing, the inflationary pressure creates a new dependency problem—continued immigration.  

As a result of this immigration dependency issue, Canada might see a huge shift in the coming months. The country recently announced its first-ever temporary resident cap. This comes just a few weeks after they announced new limits for study permits. Though it was always tough to see perpetual growth, considering the rising share of immigrants choosing to leave the country after just a few years



We encourage you to have a civil discussion. Note that reads "civil," which means don't act like jerks to each other. Still unclear? No name-calling, racism, or hate speech. Seriously, you're adults – act like it.

Any comments that violates these simple rules, will be removed promptly – along with your full comment history. Oh yeah, you'll also lose further commenting privileges. So if your comments disappear, it's not because the illuminati is screening you because they hate the truth, it's because you violated our simple rules.

  • Reply
    Mark Bayly 3 days ago

    The USA is a better option for making a living . Canada has just spun out of control low wages and high prices

  • Reply
    Mincia 3 days ago

    Don’t you mean Ontario’s growth where 95% of immigrants end up.

  • Reply
    martin 3 days ago

    Time for population control.
    Send a few thousand to Ukraine, tell them they will be great heroes for freedom 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

  • Reply
    Gurjeet Walia 3 days ago

    Canada NEEDS more immigration to make sure it is number one.
    The economy must succeed and housing must do well

  • Reply
    Bobby Ricky 3 days ago

    Canada is no longer a desirable country with improving living standards. As the article states more and more temporary and permanent residents decide not to stay once they realize this. Bringing more migrants is not the solution to economic growth as GDP per capita is completely stalled, unlike other OECD countries. Instead of bringing low cost labour there should be investment in R&D and productivity. Canada is on a completely wrong path.

  • Reply
    Peter Pan 3 days ago

    Wonder if Canada is on its way to becoming a banana republic.

  • Reply
    Ron Bruce 3 days ago

    Trudeau’s plan to expand immigration has blown up in our face. I suggest that his math skills and those of Minister of Finance Christina Freeland are not very good. Unaffordable housing, poor working skills by new arrivals and an overloaded healthcare system will not be corrected for a generation. But on April 1st, ALL parliamentarians received a wage and benefit increase compliments from fewer working taxpayers in the private sector trying to compete on the Global Stage.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *